Monday, July 14, 2014

Probably the Best Banana Bread, Like, Ever!

So, I'm pretty sure I have the most awesome and delicious recipe for banana bread. Yeah, you read me right. 

It's moist.
It's delicious.
It's incredible.

Need I say more? Didn't think so. But I will!

I have a lot of fond memories when it comes to homemade banana bread. Especially when it's warm, moist in the center and just lightly crunchy on top.

I like a little butter all melted in when it's fresh out of the oven. Talk about YUM! Great breakfast stuff here, guys.



See? Just look at it... just take a moment and look at it with me...


Moist and tender in the center.


Crunchy and golden brown on top.

I know, I know, you're dying for the recipe. Being a kind host, I will oblige. 
I doubled the batch because I love banana bread. These two loaves didn't last longer than 48 hours. For real, guys, it's that good... hence the lack of pictures. I'll have to update next time I make it. 

I'm a slacker. This is a thing I know.


Here's what you need for ONE loaf of Banana Bread:
1 3/4 cup of flour
1 1/4 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
3/4 cup of sugar
1/3 cup butter
2 large eggs
2 tbsp milk
Splash of vanilla... I pretty much never measure vanilla. My bad.
3 ripe bananas (the best flavor comes from the ones that are perfectly freckly and sweet smelling)

Preheat the oven to 350F.

Mix together your dry ingredients and your wet ingredients in separate bowls. Combine them with a rubber spatula. Don't over-mix your ingredients. Mixing too much will develop the gluten in the flour and your bread will not have a tender crumb. It'll be tougher and a bit drier in consistency. Science.

Thoroughly grease a 9x5 bread pan with Crisco (or whatever vegetable shortening you have on hand). Fill the pan with the batter and make sure to wipe any drips from the sides. It'll be easier to clean off when it's time for dishes. 

I hate dishes, so I try to make it as easy on myself as possible. And for all of you, of course.

Anyway, bake your bread for 60 minutes. Check after that amount of time and do a toothpick test for doneness. Mine took an extra 10-15 minutes to get golden brown on top and a completely clean toothpick. Ovens vary, people, so be careful. 

You don't want a funeral for your bread... what would you bury bread in? A basket? Anyway...

I removed the bread from the pan just about as soon as I was able. I let them sit on a cutting board under a tea towel until they cooled enough to slice. I'm not sure what it is, but for some reason the bread gets a really nice consistency when you let it sit under a towel after it comes out of the oven. Science? Meh. More like an "I've-done-it-this-way-every-time-and-it-always-turns-out-great" kind of thing.

Don't forget to reward yourself with a thick slice of banana bread just the way you like. I had mine with a bit of butter and (as always) a comfy spot and a book. How do you like yours?



Remember: No matter where you are, keep it homemade. 

No comments:

Post a Comment